*Special offer Terms and conditions : • Available to new patients only • Home Teeth whitening available for 4 and more E.Max veneers • 4-6 E.Max Veneers £425 each • Usual price £495 each
Emax veneers are a form of high strength porcelain veneers that are custom made and bonded to teeth to improve the aesthetics of the teeth or to enhance their function.
Emax veneers are pressed ceramic and their high strength and durability make it possible to produce them in very thin layers allowing little or no preparation (drilling) of the teeth. This is one of the biggest advantages of Emax veneers and hence avoiding drilling the teeth to peg shapes as can be the case with more conventional porcelain veneers.
We would like to bring to the attention of our readers that with any cosmetic procedure, patients should always ensure that the provider of the treatment has enough experience and artistic abilities to satisfy the patient requirements. One of the best ways to assess this is by means of viewing photos of previous work done and patient testimonials. Our patients at Pearl Dental Clinic have the opportunity to view hundreds of Emax or other types of cosmetic work done in our galleries and review the testimonials that we have received.
What are the different types of porcelain veneers?
There are many different types of porcelain veneers with different composition to allow slightly different properties. But in short, porcelain veneers, in terms of material, can be categorized into conventional feldspathic porcelain veneers or pressed porcelain veneers such as Emax.
Feldspathic porcelain veneer is where a ceramist, applying its artistic skills build up the porcelain in layers and curing it in high temperature to produce final result. Usually this type of veneer as is not as strong as pressed ceramics, requires having higher thickness to give it the necessary strength and therefore more drilling of the teeth to give technicians the space they need. But aesthetically they can produce magnificent results.
With pressed ceramics, the veneers are first made in wax and shaped and contoured to produce the chosen design and shape of veneer. The waxed veneers are casted and then the molten porcelain is invested under pressure to produce the final veneer.
Advantages of Emax veneers
- Higher edge strength versus the feldspathic veneers and thus Emax can be finished thinner without chipping (This is the edge of the veneers where they come into contact with other teeth, veneers or crowns).
- As indicated earlier minimal preparation or no preparation veneers as low viscosity of heat ingot enables pressing to very thin dimension.
- The thinner the veneer, the less the preparation or drilling of the tooth and hence the stronger the bond between the tooth and veneer. This is because with minimal reshaping of the tooth, the cementation is with the enamel which is the best and strongest bond to compare with bonding with inner layer of the tooth, the dentine, which is exposed when more of the tooth is removed and drilled off.
- Chameleon effect due to higher translucency. Once Emax veneers are made then they are stained and glazed to produce final natural looking results. To enhance the aesthetic even further, the step back technique is used where an extremely thin layer of the Emax veneer is shaved off and then very high strength feldspathic porcelain is added to allow more characterization build up such as translucent tips. In this case however, these points have to be noted;
- Firstly the strength of the feldspathic porcelain added to Emax core here is not the same as Emax and it is more likely to chip.
- Secondly, a thicker veneer will be needed and therefore more tooth removal will be required.
- Thirdly, these types of Emax veneers will cost more.
In what situations can Emax veneers be used?
- Cosmetically to improve the aesthetics and getting a white beautiful smile. In these cases usually the top eight to ten teeth are veneered in the aesthetic or smile zone (i.e. the teeth that are visible when smiling) .
- Crooked or misshaped teeth. If teeth are not badly aligned or are not of correct morphology, the looks can be instantly improved by Emax veneers. However the larger the misalignment the more tooth removal may be needed.
- Space closure/diastemas or chipped teeth- Emax veneers are an ideal choice to close single or multiple spaces. Where teeth are small and bulk need to be added to make teeth more expressive and visible. They can also be used to correct and rectify the chipped teeth.
- Discoloured teeth ; Not only the shape and design of the teeth can be changed and improved by Emax veneers but also the discoloration of the teeth can be masked and covered as in tetracycline staining.
Procedure for Emax veneers fit
As with any type of veneer, teeth, the facial profile and occlusion of the teeth (the way teeth come together and more over each other) has to be clinically assessed. Then based on above assessment and findings a design for the veneers are chosen from a possible list of different designs. This is followed by trial smile which is reproducing the chosen design on the model of teeth in wax. At this stage also any tooth removal/preparation if needed is assessed and shown to patient. If patient is happy with the trial smile, teeth are treated in line with preparation guide and if necessary temporaries are placed. Seven to ten days later the veneers are cemented to the teeth by bonding process which mostly involves resin based cements.
Our Practice is open seven days a week from 8am till 11pm. You can book a free Lumineers consultation with one of our experienced dentists by calling 0208 547 9997 or emailing us for further information or to arrange a consultation.