Emax veneers are pressed ceramic veneers and their high strength and durability make it possible to produce them in very thin layers allowing little or no preparation (drilling) of the teeth. This is one of the biggest advantages of Emax veneers, avoiding drilling the teeth to peg shapes as can be the case with more conventional porcelain veneers.
As with any cosmetic procedure, patients should always ensure that the provider of the treatment has enough experience and artistic abilities to satisfy their requirements. One of the best ways to assess this is by viewing photos of previous work done and patient reviews. Our patients at Pearl Dental Clinic have the opportunity to view hundreds of Emax Veneers or other types of cosmetic work done in our galleries and review the testimonials that we have received.
What are the different types of porcelain veneers?
There are many different types of porcelain veneers with different composition to allow slightly different properties. But in short, porcelain veneers, in terms of material, can be categorized into conventional ‘feldspathic’ porcelain veneers or pressed porcelain veneers such as Emax. Feldspathic porcelain veneer is where a ceramist, applying artistic skills, builds up the porcelain in layers and cures it in high temperatures to produce the final result. Usually this type of veneer is not as strong as pressed ceramics such as Lumineers. This is because it requires a higher thickness to give it the necessary strength, therefore more drilling of the teeth is needed to give technicians the space they need. But aesthetically they can produce magnificent results. With pressed ceramics, the veneers are first made in wax and shaped and contoured to produce the chosen design and shape. The waxed veneers are casted and then the molten porcelain is invested under pressure to produce the final veneer.
What are the Advantages of Emax veneers
- Higher edge strength, Emax Veneers can be finished thinner without chipping (This is the edge of the veneers where they come into contact with other teeth, veneers or crowns).
- As indicated earlier, minimal preparation or no preparation veneers with low viscosity of heat ingot enables pressing to a very thin dimension. Making them aesthetically pleasing.
- The thinner the veneer, the less the preparation or drilling of the tooth, which makes the bond stronger between the tooth and veneer. This is because with minimal reshaping of the tooth, the cementation is with the enamel which is much more efficient than bonding with the inner layer of the tooth, the dentine, which becomes exposed when more of the tooth is removed and drilled off.
- Chameleon effect due to higher translucency. Once Emax veneers are made then they are stained and glazed to produce final natural looking results. To enhance the aesthetic even further, the ‘step back technique’ is used whereby an extremely thin layer of the Emax veneer is shaved off and then very high strength feldspathic porcelain is added to allow more characterization build-up such as translucent tips. In this case however, these points have to be noted;
- Firstly the strength of the feldspathic porcelain added to Emax core here is not the same as Emax and it is more likely to chip.
- Secondly, a thicker veneer will be needed and therefore more tooth removal will be required.
- Thirdly, these types of Emax veneers will cost more.
In what situations can Emax veneers be used?
- Cosmetically, to improve the aesthetics and getting a white beautiful smile. In these cases usually the top eight to ten teeth are veneered in the aesthetic or smile zone (i.e. the teeth that are visible when smiling).
- Crooked or misshapen teeth. If teeth are badly aligned or are not of correct morphology, this can be instantly improved by Emax veneers. However, the larger the misalignment the more tooth removal may be needed.
- Space closure/diastemas or chipped teeth- Emax veneers are an ideal choice to close single or multiple spaces, when teeth are small and bulk needs to be added to make teeth more expressive and visible. They can also be used to correct and rectify the chipped teeth. Alternatively composite veneers can also be used to close gaps between teeth.
- Discoloured teeth ; Not only can the shape and design of the teeth be changed and improved by Emax veneers, but also the discoloration of the teeth can be masked and covered with tetracycline staining. Teeth whitening can also be used to improve the shade of teeth.
Procedure for Emax veneers fit
As with any type of veneer, teeth, the facial profile and occlusion of the teeth (the way teeth come together and more over each other) have to be clinically assessed. Then, based on above assessment and findings, a design for the veneers are chosen from a possible list of different designs. This is followed by a ‘trial smile’ which is reproducing the chosen design on the model of teeth in wax. At this stage, any tooth removal/preparation if needed is assessed and shown to the patient. If the patient is happy with the trial smile, teeth are treated in line with the preparation guide and if necessary temporaries are placed. Seven to ten days later the veneers are cemented to the teeth by a bonding process which mostly involves resin based cements.
Pearl Dental Clinic is open 7 days a week. You can book an appointment by calling us on 0203 750 5300 or emailing us or booking an appointment online.