Wisdom Tooth Extraction
At Pearl dental clinic, we have provided a same day wisdom tooth extraction service for 11 years. This private service is available both to patients registered with the practice and to new patients. You can book dental appointments online 24 hours a day and if necessary have a wisdom tooth removed on the same day basis.
The impacted wisdom tooth
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause food and bacteria to stagnate around the gum and lead to swollen gums. Pain, gum infection, bad breath, and soreness of the jaw can then develop.
When do we extract a wisdom tooth?
- If repeated episodes of Pericoronitis (gum infection) occur.
- When the wisdom tooth develops a Cavity.
- If gum disease develops.
- If a cyst forms.
Treatment options for an impacted wisdom tooth
- For impacted teeth causing no problems, no treatment is the best option.
- For situations where pus has formed, antibiotics provide temporary relief.
- Where the wisdom tooth has caused infection, cyst formation, tooth decay or gum disease a wisdom tooth extraction is the best choice.
- Where the wisdom tooth is very close to the neighbouring nerve tissue, coronectomy is the best treatment.
Wisdom tooth extraction Surgery
- Local anaesthesia will be used with or without Intra-Venous Sedation. The tooth will be so profoundly numbed that the procedure will be carried out completely painlessly.
- We then push the gum back so that we can access the wisdom tooth. If the tooth is easily accessible, then we simply elevate the tooth out.
- Sometimes, we shave a little bone around the wisdom tooth and split the wisdom tooth into bits in order to remove it completely.
- Finally, we close the gum back to where it should be with self-dissolving sutures.
What can be expected after wisdom tooth extraction surgery?
There may well be some pain, swelling, bleeding, and soreness of the jaws and muscles of the mouth following wisdom tooth removal. If necessary, we prescribe Corsodyl mouthwash, antibiotics and painkillers to combat these problems.
Do’s and Dont’s after wisdom tooth extractions
- There may be bleeding from the socket. If so apply a clean gauze to the extraction site and apply pressure by biting on it. The pressure usually stops the bleeding.
- If there is profuse bleeding from the socket you will need to come back to see us.
- There may be a tingling sensation in the lips and tongue which, in most cases, disappears. If this sensation persists, please come back to see us.
- Avoid exercise for a few days.
- Also, avoid hot drinks for 24 hours and eat a soft diet for a few days.
- After 24 hours has passed, gently rinse your mouth with salt water or mouthwash. Avoid rinsing in the first 24 hours as this can break the fragile blood clot and cause further bleeding.
- Avoid smoking for 1-week post surgery.
- The sutures usually dissolve after 2-3 weeks by themselves.
Pearl Dental Clinic is open 7 days a week from 9am to 10pm so that you can have your dental treatment without having to take time off work. You can book a wisdom tooth extraction appointment by calling us on 0208 547 9997 or emailing us or book an appointment online.
Below are Some Genuine Reviews of our Services from Independent Sources