Crown lengthening is a surgical procedure that exposes a greater amount of tooth structure. In cases where there is not much tooth structure remaining to support a crown, crown lengthening is performed to allow a dental crown to be fitted and thus restore the tooth’s structure and strength.
Indications for this procedure:
- Root fracture.
- Crown fracture leading to inadequate tooth length remaining for a crown.
- Perforation of the tooth root.
- Inadequate crown length due to tooth wear.
- Below the gum decay on the root surface of the tooth.
Contra-indications for crown lengthening
- Smoking is a contra-indication to most gum surgeries including crown lengthening.
- Thin gum tissue.
- Poor oral hygiene.
- Bone loss between molar roots.
- Unfavourable crown to root ratio being created by crown lengthening. This could mean that the crown becomes longer than the root following the surgery.
- Front teeth with long clinical crowns.
- An unrestorable tooth after surgery.
Before we carry out crown lengthening surgery we will take impressions, x-rays, and photos of your teeth. We also provide you with a mock-up model so that you can see how the final crown of the tooth will look before we begin any treatment.
Types of crown lengthening surgery available
Crown lengthening surgery risks
- Small black triangles appearing between teeth.
- Rebound of gum tissue. The distance between soft tissue margin and crest of the bone is genetically determined, so soft tissue will re-grow to its genetically predetermined height in relation to bone.
- Change in colour pigment of gum. Although this will be minimal.
- Transient tooth mobility.
- Root sensitivity. The root can become sensitive once exposed and may need a crown or veneer.
- Gingival recession, as gum tissue can recede post gum surgery.
- Root resorption.
During your consultation we will inform you of alternatives to crown lengthening surgery such as orthodontic tooth extrusion or extraction of the tooth.
Pearl Dental Clinic is situated in Kingston Vale close to the A3. There are always lots of FREE parking spaces available in front of the clinic and in the neighbouring Robin Hood Lane.
Pearl Dental Clinic is open 7 days a week from 9am to 10pm so that you can have your dental treatment without having to take time off work. You can book a crown lengthening consultation by calling us on 0203 750 5300 or emailing us or book an appointment online.